Sunday, January 13, 2013

Achtung!! Gletscherspalte!!! [Danger!! Crevasse!!!]

Funnily my time at the Auberge de Jeunesse de Chamonix was characterised by lots of epic ski runs with some crazy folks from the south of Germany. I thus learnt some handy German phrases to use in the back country. Words cannot explain the amazing quantity and variety of skiable terrain from the resorts that surround Chamoniux. I have to find a way to live here in the future! Pictures can NEARLY explain the "epicness"...

Photo credits to Sebastian and Mathius [see Mats blog at http://blog.heckes.cc/] & a few are even mine.

Mont Blanc from the top of Grand Montets
Team Germany + me. Thank you for including me!! On route to the Pas du Chevre line to meet up with the Vallee Blanche
Yep you know...
In all that fluff is a little bit of my helmet = good times.
Searching for an exit...
Being the guinea pig down what is kind of an exit couloir. Someone was choppered out in the afternoon... I think I stole all the snow!


 
The Vallée Blanch is a classic Chamonix line from the gondola that goes to the Aigulle du Midi, a Mt Blanc viewing platform. It was good to get out the crampons after lugging them around Europe!
Ice tunnel at the top of the Aiguille du Midi
Crampon action/ unfortunately the fixed rope wasn't in place the whole way until the day after we went. It was critical not to fall to the left, you probably would have landed w few thousand feet down in Chamonix town!

Some context of the size of the glacier path, Sasha was standing only 20m away!

Strugglers in the trees!
We also got a bit of touring in on my new bling lib tech splitboard... Aussie teleskier, Tim, joined us for his first real powder run. It was great to see that powder smile on his face and the begginings of PPS (powder panic syndrome) in his eyes...
The boys skinning up behind me
Pretty happy with the new ride!

Being pregnant trying to keep my skins warm down my jacket. From right Johann, Tim and Matthuis. Props to Johann for doing the tour in snowshoes!
After Chamonix I visited some smaller ski resorts; La Clusaz, Le Grande Bornand and Combloux (Megéve), competed in a freeride event and was hosted by an awesome new french friend but these are stories for later. It is time to go splurge on a french patisserie and pack the bags once again!


No comments:

Post a Comment